Sunday 11 August 2013

'THE SENTENCE' -- A POEM BY ANNA AKHMATOVA !

'THE SENTENCE'

by Anna Akhmatova
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

And the stone word fell
On my still-living breast.
Never mind, I was ready.
I will manage somehow.
Today I have so much to do:
I must kill memory once and for
all,
I must turn my soul to stone,
I must learn to live again--
Unless . . . Summer's ardent
rustling
Is like a festival outside my
window.
For a long time I've foreseen this
Brilliant day, deserted house.
|

ANNA AKHMATOVA.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

This Is A Powerful Poem By One Of The Finest Female Voices In Verse In The Modern World Literature, ANNA AKHMATOVA !

'THE SENTENCE' Is A Beautiful Poem On Memory And Amnesia!

The Speaker Says She Wishes To Stop The Flow of The Past Making The Present Very Difficult To Bear ,Yet, She Fails Many Times And Therefore Tries To Undo The Very Existence of The Past In Form of Memories As The Last Resort She Could Think Of As Useful !

But, How That Be Ever Possible : The Killing of Memories And The Turning of Soul Into Stone ?

The Speaker Is Perpetually Being Haunted By The Time Gone By And Any Attempt Whatsoever To Sanitize The Hauntings Seems Unattainable, rather Impossible !

At Last The Speaker Gets Sorts of Defeat And Is Seemingly Left With The Lamentation Meaningfully Expressed In The Last Lines !

The Last Lines Are Very Poignant :-

'I Have For Long Foreseen This : /
Brilliant Day , Deserted House .


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

MRITYUNJAY JHA
4F, ADARSH NAGAR
SAMASTIPUR
BIHAR
INDIA.
+91 9334411390.
http://facebook.com/MJ1982M
http://twitter.com/MJ1982M

No comments:

Post a Comment